HomeHomeFAQRegisterLog inElite

Share | 

(SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
trulyanna

Gemini

PostSubject: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 12th 2012, 12:52 pm

I've been dealing with this frustrating problem for weeks now, and I can't seem to fix it. If any of you have advice or tips, please share... I'm about fed up with this.

Anyways, here's my issues:
- In CAS, there is a problem loading the preview thumbnail for several items (I think just clothes) and pre-made Sims. I'll try to get a screenshot next time I go in there.
- In CAS, when I click on a premade Sim, I just get this weird figure in black. You can make out the sims features and such as normal, but everything shows up horizontally striped black... skin, clothes, hair, eyes, etc.
- CAS tends to crash. A lot. There's no specific area. It just crashes.

It's been doing this for several weeks. Right before it occurred, I installed Showtime and several CC's. No core mods were installed.

I'm about to take all of my CC and run it through Delphy's tool again, but I think I cleared up any issues before.

My next step will to be remove ALL of my CC (which is a pain- I have a ton!), and slowly reinstall it in sets of 10. But then again, I'm not sure what kind of issues that may cause if I do that.

Anyways. I'm just hoping you guys have heard of this or experienced this before and can give me some advice before I waste the next several days doing this.

Thank you so much!!
Smile

Last edited by trulyanna on October 19th 2012, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ameenah
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 12th 2012, 1:22 pm

I hope I can be of some help...!

First of all, what patch number are you on? This is important - because some mods become outdated with patch updates. 1.38 and 1.39 (the latest patches) are identical as far as installing CC goes. If you've installed Supernatural, you are patched to 1.38.

- Having sims appear black is caused by a missing non-default skin 90% of the time. This is not generally caused by a core mod. If any kind of mod is affecting the skintones - it's likely to be the skintone panel expander. The skintone panel expander was updated for 1.38. ( http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=434270 )

***It's more likely that you have a sim(sims) saved with a missing non-default skin. Does the screen freeze after selecting the sim, or are you able to access the CAS functions like the slider panel and clothing panel? What you need to do is select another skin from the skintone panel and then either save the sim to your bin again OR remove/add an item of make-up. This will reset the sim to a skin. ***

- If you use a CAS camera mod (Shimrod's Zoom-In-Cas, for example) make sure that you have updated it. There is an update for 1.38 - and prior to this patch, it has been the same since Pets. I think there are quite a few people who might have missed this update. ( http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=434510&c=1 )

Go ahead and scan your CC with Delphy's Dashboard - I scan everything before I load it into my game. In the future, I suggest you scan items as you download them to keep things easier. ***Sometimes, Dashboard will alert you of a conflict between objects. This happens often with items from AroundTheSims, but the conflict does not matter in this case. This generally does not apply to CAS items however, just Build&Buy in my experience. IF the conflict is from a duplicated item, remove the duplicate. ***

Keep your downloads organized somewhere outside your /Packages folder for back-up. This way, you will rarely ever have to waste time hunting down an item again. If you already do this, then kudos! :p

With a few exceptions (I do not keep ANYTHING in folders - I merge everything except Awesome Mod, yes, I merge tweaks too. :p People will tell you not to do this, but it's fine if you're organized.), I realized that I organize my CC in pretty much an identical way to Marion from OhMySims. She has a nice guide here: http://ohmysims.tumblr.com/post/24336581511

Aside from the common/"official" bugs (some custom sliders being borked after Pets, etc.) - I have never really had any problems with my CC.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of broken content out there, AND if you install any mods (core or not) you have to be mindful of both their source and the update/patch they were created for.

If you download from The Exchange, I suggest that you follow Dach's tips for scanning sims. Sims uploaded here are often corrupted because the creator had bad CC in their own game / or became corrupted simply by being uploaded to the Exchange ( this has happened in the past ). ( http://dachssims.blogspot.com/2012/06/does-anyone-check-their-simspets-houses.html )
Back to top Go down
trulyanna

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 12th 2012, 1:35 pm

Oh wow, thank you so much for your quick response, Ameenah!!

I don't have Supernatural, but I am patched up to the latest available one. I believe I have checked my core mods (which I believe is just Master Controller in my case).

I knew about the default skintone, which may be a problem because I deleted some of my installed sims in hopes that it would help. However, because everything and not just the skin is black, I don't think this is my case.

Also, it's the default EA-sims that appear black, not any installed ones. I forgot to mention that.

I try to use Delphy, but since I'm on a mac, it's rather hard. Let's just say, it involves a lot of compressing and moving files around computers. I keep hoping one will be made available for the Mac one day...

I'll definitely take a look at the guide! It would be nice to have everything merged after I get this fixed up. It will definitely make it easier next time I have issues, versus my one-million-folder technique.

I don't download from the Exchange, but I did download some pretty old files this last time when I went CC-crazy.

Hopefully Delphy will fix my problem, but since I've already scanned these files weeks ago, I don't expect too much to happen.
Back to top Go down
Ameenah
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 12th 2012, 1:49 pm

Wow, the default sims? Ack. The bugs that can arise from conflicts are crazy! It sucks that some of the tools available are not readily usable for Mac players - that or they don't work as well. Sad...

Do you install most of your CC as packages or as Sims3Packs? I'm not as much help with the latter, because I never use them. I know everyone always links to it, and I'm sure you've seen it before, but Crinrict has some good tutorials.

I would happily check out your mods for you, at least, I know checking CC is probably impossible because we all have so much, haha. *____* But if you zipped up a folder with all your hacks, I could take a look. Sometimes non-core mods can throw weird errors.
Back to top Go down
trulyanna

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 12th 2012, 2:22 pm

I mostly install my CC as Sims3Packs, hoping that that would make it easier bug-wise. Now I'm starting to think that it's going to make it harder, though, since I have no idea how to deal with those.

If you wouldn't mind doing that, I would absolutely love it!

I just spent a frustrating 30 minutes trying to get S3PE to work on my Mac so I can see the thumbnails of items and go through them. In the end, I still couldn't get it to run. So I'm not sure what to do with that either... I'm not sure if it's me or the programs, but I'm having terrible luck dealing with these things.
confused
Back to top Go down
trulyanna

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 12th 2012, 6:36 pm

Okay. Update:

I basically restored my game to factory settings using this (http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/06/tutorial-resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling.html) tutorial. I've decided to forego my previous saves, though, and just start off anew anyways.

HOWEVER. I have an issue as most of my CC was installed as a Sims3Pack. How can I get those files off of my old files and onto my new ones?

I sincerely hope that I don't have to go through and re-install everything again...
Sad044
Back to top Go down
Ameenah
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 12th 2012, 7:01 pm

Sad...

That's generally the problem with sims3packs - you generally simply have to install them again. Ack, I'm so sorry. X___X

If you saved your DCBackup file elsewhere, you can sometimes just drop this back in and your downloads will be restored BUT since you were having problems with your game, it's likely something corrupt could have "snuck" it's way into that file (this might just be me being very overly cautious). In that case you would be better off re-installing. I know packages are pain to deal with on a Mac X__X, but they're 100% easier and faster to install in general - which is why I think PC users should generally just...stay away from them.

I know that must of us here have gone through the hassle of re-installing our games from scratch, losing save files, and having to recover CC that might have been collected over months or years. Sad... It stinks, and I'm really sorry!
Back to top Go down
trulyanna

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 12th 2012, 7:36 pm

I was able to get them all to show up by using the DCBackup files, and I think the problem is gone. I'm guessing there was an issue in my save file or a problem with the world that I was using.

But I think I'm going to re-do my CC anyways.
I want to make it all .package based so that I can merge it, and I had accumulated so many pointless files that are just lagging down my game.

Now I just have to remember all the good sites for downloading CC. Besides CStyles, of course.
Love067
Back to top Go down
cecesaun1
Admin
Admin

Top Poster :
Featured Artist :
Cancer
Comments : Two dyslexics run into a bank and shout, "air in the hands mother stickers...this is a f**k up!"

**not intended to offend people with this disability...just for kicks and giggles**

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 14th 2012, 2:13 am

I'm so glad that Ameenah was willing and able to assist you! Game problems can be so seriously frustrating. I just recently went through a spell and having help really aided me in finding and fixing my problem. I go NO WHERE outside of Cstyles when I have problems!!! I'm so spoiled! ;) And I usually have people eager and patient enough to take the time to help me find and fix the issue. And let's not go into having millions of cc... I cringe when I view my files...If I had a fellow simmer nearby in real life I'd probably pay them to organize my files for me. Razz ;)

Gemini

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 14th 2012, 6:59 pm

I know what you mean, Cece.

I decided that instead of dealing with trying to organize my CC (not to mention being out of a way of deleting old Sims3Packs that I've outgrown), that I'll just redo my CC list completely.

I've spent all weekend trying to redownload CC, and I suspect it'll take me another day and a half at least to finish downloading and then organize everything before I can play.

I'm so anxious to get back to playing though!
Back to top Go down
cecesaun1
Admin
Admin

Top Poster :
Featured Artist :
Cancer
Comments : Two dyslexics run into a bank and shout, "air in the hands mother stickers...this is a f**k up!"

**not intended to offend people with this disability...just for kicks and giggles**

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 14th 2012, 7:33 pm

Wow, well good luck to ya and I hope that you get it all done with no problems! hiho

VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 14th 2012, 11:41 pm

I hope your game runs smoothly!

I know re-organizing/collecting CC is a total pain. I've been....sorting through mine (for the million time) with my obsessive tendencies and still haven't gotten to the remerging/compressing point because I'm indecisive about what to keep.
Back to top Go down
mamx

Top Poster :
Libra
Comments : adult living in canada

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 15th 2012, 12:59 pm

if there are package patterns files in your mod package folders. or there are sims2 files in your folder that can mess things up.
Back to top Go down
Ameenah
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 15th 2012, 1:48 pm

^ Yep, this is really important!

Corrupt patterns can really mess with your game. They're so tiny but they cause so much trouble.

Patterns that are OK to be placed into your packages folder must have been created by Delphy's Pattern Packager or with TSR Workshop. Patterns made with the Create-A-Pattern tool CANNOT be converted to package.
Back to top Go down
mamx

Top Poster :
Libra

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 15th 2012, 3:17 pm

i dont put in any pattern packages in at all , it lot easier that way for me. and watch out for merged files too. if you lump everything together ooops . might be a problem in there too maybe.
Back to top Go down
Ameenah
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 15th 2012, 3:45 pm

You should merge your files, though. You shouldn't be loading more than maybe 50 package files at any one time. The number varies depending on your CPU. It's just important that you keep a back-up of the files that you have merged, just in case you have to re-merge or want to remove something from the package.
Back to top Go down
mamx

Top Poster :
Libra

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 15th 2012, 5:19 pm

so how many files is too much in our mod package folder i wonder ,i do have a lot.
Back to top Go down
Ameenah
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 15th 2012, 5:50 pm

I think the number of files differs from computer to computer - some people will notice a slow down at 200 package files, some at 50. It really depends. So, there is no set limit. This depends on the strength of your processor and the amount of RAM you have installed.

This is because of the way Sims 3 handles package files. This is partly why some people think Sims3Packs are "faster." They are automatically combined into their own "package file" by the game when installed. Expansions and Stuff Packs also have combined "package files" with the CAS and Build&Buy content compressed into 1-4 files.

We all know how much of a hassle it can be to install a lot of Sims3Packs - and it becomes very difficult to manage if you have hundreds of them. While they are initially easier to install, they become difficult to maintain. And removing a corrupted Sims3Pack is generally a little more difficult than removing a corrupted package. Packages are much easier to drag and drop out of your game, and can be organized however you like.

But, it's not the size of your packages folder that matters JUST the number of packages - because the game loads them individually. That's why it's good to merge them! After merging most people will have minimum to no lag - and, at the very least, your game should run better than it did before merging. For me, I consider merging not just something you should do to be organized, but something that's necessary. Smile

You have the option of merging packages yourself or letting a program control the merging for you. CC Magic works by merging your packages for you. Merging this way does not make your game faster than merging the traditional way, but many people, especially those new to package combining, may find it easier. I personally combine my files the "old" way - it works with how I organize my stuff. Eva's tutorial is exactly how I put my files together. I believe in the past Aikea, and Anach also wrote tutorials about package combining ( I read these first ). Eva's is the easiest to follow(and has the most pictures, yeah!), and it's right here on Cstyles, so I would just follow this if you're new to combining. :D
Back to top Go down
mamx

Top Poster :
Libra

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 15th 2012, 11:07 pm

im not new to merging ,but it didnt seem to make a diff to me mm.it been a while. got lot of stuff to do for sure,if i do them all
Back to top Go down
Ameenah
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 16th 2012, 1:22 am

Sorry I wrote so much Embarassed Sad... , I figured if anyone else clicked into the post they might find it useful.

How many packages have you reduced your total to, though? I think merging helps, but obviously if you have a TON of CC, there's still probably going to be lag. I merge, and I also don't use any sims3packs, and it seems to work out well. Any store content I use is also in package form (minus counters, but I don't have any custom ones installed)
Back to top Go down
mamx

Top Poster :
Libra

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   October 16th 2012, 2:28 am

i have lot of patterns but i install them in the launcher. as for the rest it clothes, makeup,shoes,skintone.and all sorted by gender , creator. i should merge the stuff. as for object i dont have that much really and some is merges. not abit collector of objects. oh and of course the hair. i have just about every hair ever made eeks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing   Today at 4:11 am

Back to top Go down

(SOLVED) Problem with CAS and Crashing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cstyles Sims3 :: Welcome :: Tech & Game Support-
Private forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum